Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Conceptual Drawings for Terrace and Patio 2

 
This is a continuation on the previous post, so if you're new to the party-start there. Above is my note page for this backyard, in the old days . . . before digital images, and before the Kodaks with the instant photo there would have been a lot more note taking, a lot more. Now with digital I can take fewer on-site notes and do more scribbling-in my head.

I tend to let the site roll over for a few daye before I make any commitment to a drawing, or sketch, or stick through the dirt. Sure I may go back to my 1st instinct from that 1st moment on the site, but I have at least explored the many possibilities the site has to offer. Which is better for everyone involved.

So a few outlines, and a few measurements are taken (accurately) I can now work to scale when the time comes. The renderings are not to scale but they are to ratio, or proportion giving me a sense of the place. I can then see how the possibilities work to scale on plan view.

This is opposite of how most Landscape Designers work, but over the years this has become the best working method for me. I want to see the site, and what it may hold for the client, the development of the space.
 
This is a real rough plan view of the site. I have on occasion shown this level of drawing to the client-in the conceptual stage meeting. Everything is laid out space wise-the relationships between areas are easily seen/defined. Now is a good time to get client feedback.

Here is where I find out if I have been listening to the client, the site, and my instincts. These 3 parts make the whole complete.
 
This drawing . . . a doodle, a time-killer. When your stuck-move on, move out, get moving. Any kind of different action from the project you are working on. Go water the garden, get the mail, doodle . . . free your mind. It sounds corny. Is "corny" still a good word to use??? Do you relate? Can you dig it?

But I digress, it's here because it signifies a break in the action. It works for me.
More on this project tomorrow. Posted by Picasa

No comments: