Monday, October 23, 2006

ANLA, Management Clinic

Every year in Louisville, KY. the American Nursery and Landscape Association (ANLA) holds their yearly conference, they call it The Management Clinic. The dates for the 2007 Clinic-Jan. 31st through February 3rd.

It's very easy for me to describe the Clinic . . . it's a blast! an absolute blast!!! I belong (have belonged) to many organizations in the industry, and attend many conferences, events, seminars . . . the Management Clinic is the best. The ANLA staff is terrific; going way above and beyond the call; and the ANLA members who volunteer to make the Clinic work . . . work like dogs to make this the premiere National Event in the industry.

From the opening session straight through to the Muggets, the Clinic is one learning event, one moment changer, one networking opportunity after another, after another. The willingness of the attendees to share what they know, and the depth of the speakers knowledge is terrific. I can't wait for the time to get here, well I can but you know what I mean.

Need another reason to go . . . ta da! I'm part of the program. This will be my 3rd time as a speaker at the Mgmt. Clinic and I really look forward to participating. This is how the Mgmt. Clinic describes my program:

Changes In The Landscape World - A Provocateurs Perspective:
During the Clinic, speakers will wax philosophic about sustainability, social responsibility, design trends, technology and systems, and marketing strategies. Do you buy what the "experts" are saying? Why make big changes when things are going OK? Should you guide your clients' tastes, or just give 'em topiary if that's what they want?

I'm being asked to reinvent the panel discussion where a bunch of guys would talk about the new petunia, or the next hot spreadsheet. Well . . . to quote Emeril "Bam! let's kick it up a notch!".

I hope to jump start a more lively discussion and really bring the audience into the discussion, I want interaction! I will throw out some new trends I see on the landscape Design/Build side, ask for some input from the crowd, and we'll mix it up from there.

I plan on using this Blog, the Blogsphere, Web Forums, cyberspace, etc., to kick start the discussion and find as much info as I can ahead of time. I hope those of you that stop in and e-mail me about stuff will contribute to my findings. I also am looking for more feedback from those lurkers (I know who you are) around here-speak out! Let me know what you're thinking. Or send me to sites or info I need to see.

One other thing about the Mgmt. Clinic for 2007, Mike Lin is coming back and doing another of his (sure to be terrific) 2-day graphic workshops immediately preceding the festivities. Mike is the man when it comes to teaching graphics in the field of Landscape Design. I mean he is the man. If you want to pick up your game in rendering technique, coloring skills, or drawing speed these 2 days would be worth your time with philosopher Mike. (Do you think this plug will get me in the session???).

The 2007 ANLA Management Clinic, if you are in any part of this industry, this industry that makes the World a better place to live . . . Ask yourself this . . . how can I be anywhere that week, but in Louisville, KY? See ya' at Muggets . . .

No comments: