Friday, June 09, 2006

"The Traveling Wall" Vietnam Veteran's Memorial

"The Moving Wall" is visiting in my little part of the World from June 8th through the 11th, it contains all of the names and stirs lots of emotions just like the permanent wall in Washington, D.C.
I visited this afternoon around 1;30 and there was a decent crowd the was continuing in at a steady paces, I talked to a few organizers and they said it was possible a 100,000 could come through by the end of the weekend. Even this replica has the ability to bring strong emotion and time for deep reflection in each visitor.
There were many of these personal memorials along the wall, from the more elaborate pictorials as this, to a simple service photo, each touching in it's own way.
The field across the drive hosted this display of American flags;over 1500 of them, signifying each of the Ohioans lost in Vietnam. It was a touching tribute. I have always found this type of display very compelling. The designer in me believes it has to do with the repetition and simple lines-ideas which relate to everyone. It might be as the American in me is lured in by the Red, White and Blue placed against the green back drop.

From a design standpoint the "Traveling Wall" only misses on one powerful aspect that the permanent Wall has. In Washington you walk down into the wall, each step taking you further down in, down in to where it seems only the black granite, the names - 58,132, and your reflection exist.

It's powerful stuff, I commend the designer Maya Lin greatly, and the original committee who approved her design.

To those who put together "The Traveling Wall" my thanks go out to you also, if you get a chance go visit-you will not be disappointed.

I'll have more links on this later, including the rest of my photos. Posted by Picasa

No comments: