Monday, February 27, 2006

Skecthbook rendering

A rendering from a couple of years ago. Found this when I was going through a pile of stuff. I remember this drawing because the homeowner kept remarking on how they wanted a really spectacular view out the windows and wanted a great place to entertain.

The short of it was the contractor I drew this for did a poor job explaining the install process, along with the fact we were $35,000-$40,000 higher than the other guy looking at project. Even though there idea was not comparable.

The homeowners went the other way. Afterwards; maybe 3-4 weeks after completion I ran into the homeowner. His 1st words were "I made such a huge mistake" He was totally unhappy, and lamented on how he wishes he would have spent the extra money.

It's weird, because now as I look back on this I remember telling the contractor his final price was too low, maybe $12,000 or so. He agreed, but said he really wanted the job. My point is that money he cut off the bid was his profit and maybe more and he still didn't get it, actually saving him money in the final analysis.

I think you should bid the price you need to bid and stay in a healthy business situation and let those shopping on price alone live with their decision. Look for clients who value good work, sound design, quality materials and a philosophy that something that stands the test of time is of the highest value. Posted by Picasa

No comments: